1. Criteria for admission (non degree-seeking student)
There are three options to take UMD graduate courses without pursuing a graduate degree: Advanced Special Student Status, Visiting Graduate Student Status, or Golden Identification Cardholder Status (for Senior Citizens). Among these three options, the Advanced Special Student option is the most suitable option for most practicing engineers.
2. To qualify as an Advanced Special Student, you must:
- Have achieved a cumulative 3.0 (on a 4 point scale) average for work done at the undergraduate level; OR
- Have earned a master’s, doctoral, or a post-baccalaureate professional degree (MD, JD, DVM, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution; OR
- Provide a letter of support from the graduate director of the degree program in which you plan to take a course (we will help applicants obtain this letter).
3. To apply, applicants must:
- Submit a completed online application, which includes uploading official transcripts showing a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and a personal statement.
- Pay the $75 application processing fee.
- After finishing application, please inform Kerri Poppler Jamers and Dr. Diganta Das.
4. Other information:
- US citizens or permanent residents with international credentials, can apply for Advanced Special Student Status here.
- If an Advanced Special Student may be required to submit an English proficiency test score to be considered for admission.
- Please visit the following website for more information.
5. Spring 2020 semester deadline (non-degree seeking student):
The deadline for application as an Advanced Special Student is the first day of classes, January 27, 2020.
6. The cost to take the course:
For information regarding course fees click here .
7. Course Registration:
Advanced Special Students should register for the section:
RE01: an online section for MS/Ph.D./Advanced Special Students
8. Useful Contacts: